Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eating Lead Paint: It Still Happens



Argh. My 3 year old has eaten the blue paint off her Hello Kitty McDonald's toy. As a concerned mother, I try to email McDonald's Canada to ask whether they know what is in the paint. Pointedly, there is no email address listed anywhere on the McDonald's website. The U.S. has a special email centre, but there are no email centres in any other countries. Hmmm.

Okay, now to the good old telephone. The woman receiving my call silkenly reassures me that all McDonald's toys are thoroughly tested for safety. I tell her that I am worried about the possibility that as the toy is made in China, that there might be lead in the paint. Finally, she says that it is not possible for this to happen in Canada, that lead paint would not be allowed in Canada. I then told her that there have been cases of children's jewellery containing high levels of lead, causing serious health problems in children who suck on their necklaces. If you have a small child, you know that children put everything in their mouths. She finally placated me by saying that she would take my telephone number and make an inquiry about it.

I did a quick internet search to confirm what I had told her. As recently as July 5, 2007, there was a recall of children's jewellery for lead content, http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/recalls/2007/07/childrens_metal_jewelry_recall.html. Here is an article from the American Academy of Pediatrics on a case of lead poisoning from a toy necklace: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/114/4/1096.pdf Also, there was a recall of Thomas the Tank Engine toys only a month ago for lead paint. See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11271805 And now, not even Disney goods are safe from dispensing lead paint: http://www.babycenter.com/news/?id=101768&scid=pcbulletin:20070723:0:0:0#story . You'd think it would be common sense for manufacturers to consider making children's toys safe for... children.

It would be naive as to believe that you and your children are protected by the government against hazards so well established as lead poisoning. Cases of actual lead poisoning are not uncommon, and you are foolish to assume that you are protected simply because you live in the U.S. or Canada.
Lead poisoning is a result of the cumulative ingestion of lead, through sources as wide ranging as playground paint chips, old paint in home interiors, lead miniblinds, and... toys and jewellery. A cumulative amount as small as one tenth of a square inch of lead paint (the size of a pencil eraser head), depending on the concentration of lead in the paint, of course, will result in blood levels of lead exceeding what is considered safe in children. "Sustained blood lead levels have been linked with behavior and learning problems, damage to the brain and nervous system, slowed growth, and hearing problems."-- Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Conclusion to the story: Beryl from McDonald's called me back the same day that I made my inquiry and said, "I'm happy to advise you that there is no metal in the paint. This becomes a part of the testing that has to meet all standards set for Canada by the safety commission." I told her about Thomas the Tank Engine, and she asked me whether the recall was for Canada. Yes, it was. My friend's Thomas toys were part of the recall, and the toys were purchased in Canada. She also offered to have a safety tester from McDonald's labs call me to speak to me about the toy. She assured me that noone else has complained about the Hello Kitty toys. I told her that they were only recently released. She said the actual date was July 6. Okay, I stand corrected. I guess 19 days ago is not considered recent. I was most concerned about the amount of paint that was removed through a "normal" mouthing of the toy by a preschooler.
I have to say that I am impressed with this follow-up call and the offer to have a lab tech speak to me. Now, do I take her word for it, or do I have the lab tech call me?

No comments:

Post a Comment