Thursday, June 25, 2009

Square Foot Gardening: Vermiculite Sourcing

I'm waiting to get my raised bed kit from Costco. I ordered it on May 2, and it is due to arrive on June 26. Not quite the 7-10 days I was originally promised by Costco... I missed most of the early growing season!

Read about Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening (SFG) method. More garden for less work. Anything requiring less work sounds great to me! Mel advocates a mix of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, and 1/3 coarse vermiculite. Well, easier said than done... The peat moss is easy enough to find, as is the 5 different kinds of compost. The problem is the holticultural grade vermiculite.

Many discussion groups interested in vermiculite seemed to be marijuana hydroponic growers! They recommend buying vermiculite by mail order through Worm's Way, http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=VER944. It's a very reasonable $25 US there for 4 cubic feet. It's reputedly easier to get vermiculite in Canada.

Through the Square Foot Gardening group at Facebook I discovered that Sun Gro makes vermiculite. Sunshine Strong-Lite Horticultural Coarse Vermiculite. The Sun Gro website directed me to a few locations near me: Prickly Pear in Richmond was one. They sell 8L bags for $3.99. Home Depot sells a vermiculite (but not coarse), 9L for $6.99.

So I did my calculations. I will be building an 4x12 box with a 12 inch depth. That requires 48 cubic feet of Mel's Mix. One third of that would be 16 cubic feet, or 453L. Hmmm... that means I'll need to buy 56.6 bags of 8L vermiculite for a total of $226.50 plus tax. So, I put in a telephone call to Sun Gro headquarters in Bellevue, WA. They referred me to Customer Service at 1-888-797-7328 who referred me to local Sun Gro representative for BC, Fred Wickens. He was very kind and helpful. He noted that vermiculite used to be mixed into their potting soils but that is no longer done, and that it is not cost effective to ship vermiculite from the East Coast to sell here. The vermiculite available locally is shipped from South Africa. So much for buying local...

He referred me to Eddi's Wholesale Garden Supplies in Surrey, BC. They sell 110L bags but they would not sell to me as I am not a retailer. So back to the local garden centres. Mr. Wickens had mentioned Gardenworks, which sells the 110L bags for $40. Jackpot! 110L? Now we're talking! Unfortunately, they sold out over the weekend. Hearing that got me into a frantic state of mind, so I tried to order my things over the phone for delivery to get my claws on the next shipment. Well, the vermiculite they were expecting that day showed up, but only two bags. I need four. Also, it was medium grade. I find it strange that the supplier would only ship two bags. I would have to wait until perhaps Thursday for the last two bags I needed.

So I was back to calling around for vermiculite sources. Art's Nursery only has the 10L Dutch Treat bags for $5, despite being "one of Greater Vancouver's largest retail and wholesale garden centres." I did discover, however, that they offer Sea Soil for $65 a "tractor scoop", which is "60-70% of 1 yard." After some calculations, I figured out that I need one tractor scoop. The problem is that delivery would cost $100. If I was willing to truck in the soil myself, this was definitely the place to go for Sea Soil. http://www.artsnursery.com/bulk.asp

For Sea Soil, another option would be to have "Got Dirt Ltd." deliver the dirt to me directly. They did not have peat moss or vermiculite, and I would still have to pay the high delivery charge (less than $100 but more than $50, can't remember). I would rather get the one stop shopping thing done to save on delivery charges. I just couldn't picture myself lugging bag after bag of soil from the store to my car, and from my car to the house.

Ward Teulon of City Farmer also offered to supply me the soil, for $385 plus taxes, which includes laying down newspapers and putting the Sea Soil in the box and amending it with organic fertilizers. Alas, it would not be Mel's Mix. He suggested 25 bags of Sea Soil, which was far less than I calculated for total volume required for the bed.

By searching online, I found a supplier in Vernon, BC, Briteland Distributors, who had the 110L bags along with an interesting assortment of supplies ranging from organic gardening supplies to janitorial and food service indudstries, among others. Shipping costs to Vancouver would be prohibitive, as the supplier would have to find a freight company to ship. Well, if you live near Vernon, this might be a great place to buy your supplies. They even have bat guano!http://www.briteland.com/wecs.php?usetemplate=formatted_organics

David Hunter Garden Centre was mentioned on the Sun Gro site, so I tried there. Bingo. The 110L bags are in stock in the Surrey store, for only $27! Yeah! Other items were also cheaper than GardenWorks, all except Sea Soil. How puzzling.

Here is what I'm buying:

4 x 110L medium grade vermiculite @ $27
2 x 3.8ft3 peat moss (which expands to 16 ft3)
8 x 25L mushroom manure (horse poo) @$3
13 x 32L organic sea soil @ $8
Landscape cloth, $5 for 3x25 feet.
Delivery $25

TOTAL COST: $275 plus tax.

The large bags of vermiculite will be sent up from the Surrey store since the Arbutus store has none.

For comparison, a similar purchase at GardenWorks (Mandeville):

4 x 110L medium grade vermiculite @ $40
2 x 3.8ft3 peat moss (which expands to 16 ft3) @ $17
7 x 30L mushroom manure (horse poo) @$5.50
13 x 32L organic sea soil @ $7
Landscape cloth, $13 for 3x50 feet.
Delivery $70

TOTAL: $409.50 (but 25 feet more landscape cloth and 10L more mushroom manure) plus tax.


Miles at the Arbutus store of David Hunter spent lots of time laughing at me on the telephone when I asked him for his opinion on what composts to buy. He ended up critiquing the whole venture. He had heard of SFG, but thought I would be better off simply digging up the soil in the ground and filling it with mostly mushroom manure, as my mix was not cost effective. When I said that the SFG was supposedly foolproof, he said it was more simply "foolish." Ha ha. True that spending $275 for everything delivered (plus taxes) is fairly exorbitant for a vegetable garden. It would take me forever to recoup the costs if this was a commercial venture. He didn't understand the need for vermiculite at all. So while I am worried, I am going to go on blind faith that the guru of SFG knows what he's doing. I appreciate that Miles had good intentions, and I am appreciative. Heck, I've spent more than $275 on tickets to Beauty and the Beast for the whole family, so I'm not terribly worried. He also suggested I scrap the worm castings as being too expensive ($23 for 20L). This was the piece of advice I did listen to. I was just trying to follow the requirement of five different kinds of compost that Mel prescribes.

I wish my own compost was ready. I've been composting since 1997, but the oldest compost in my new home is about 3 years old and only a small amount seems to be ready. I already used it when I planted some mini pumpkins in the existing garden bed.

Miles also suggested that I use a rototiller to mix everything together. When I mentioned the SFG idea of putting the soils on a tarp and mixing by lifting up the corners, he laughed again. He suggested physiotherapy might be in order after I'm done!

I hope it doesn't matter much that I have medium, and not coarse vermiculite. A quick look at others asking the same question on other gardening forums shows that medium vermiculite is okay, but will break down sooner.

Delivery of the soil is now timed for delivery of the garden bed kit. Dreading the back breaking work of putting it all together.

Update:  March 22, 2012.  I called David Hunter to ask about vermiculite.  I am concerned that the medium vermiculite has now broken into smaller pieces.  It is now $35 for 110L of the coarse vermiculite.  They now have a Broadway location again, at 2560 West Broadway between Larch and Trafalgar.

Update March 13, 2013.  David Hunter (604-733-1534) has medium vermiculite, 100L for $50!!!  Wow, in the course of four years, the price has doubled.


16 comments:

  1. THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!! I'm just trying to figure out how to fill my new SFG bed, and also wondering if I'm crazy to do it. While I'm even more bummed now that the Arbutus location is closed, I'm so happy that you've done the calling around for me. Looks like there are several good leads here.

    Having done the Square Foot Garden technique, was it worth the trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janette,

    I am quite happy with my SFG. It produced very well for the first year--the stuff grew like crazy, but my squash failed. It would flower and then wither--maybe I need bees? Who knows. Also, my beets failed: the tops were vigorous, but the roots didn't get very thick/round.

    I did like how there were very few weeds, as promised, and how organized it was. My dividing wooden dowels have already fallen apart from exposure to the sun/rain after only one season of use. But they were great for organizing and planting purposes.

    Unfortunately, I placed the SFG under the edge of some evergreen type trees and they've dropped needles all over the soil, so I have to move the whole thing otherwise the needles would change the soil. I never noticed the needles in the past, so what an unpleasant surprise. There has been a great decrease in the quality of the soil since last year. I probably need to add a very large amount of compost to amend the soil before anything will grow again.

    I wish I could tell you that it was worth the trouble and that there was no need to follow the advice of the guy at David Hunter who said I should just throw mushroom manure over my existing soil. Hard to quantify when I have no comparison to what I could have had using the other method. I think that it was great starting with weed free soil, and being above ground in raised beds probably did extend my growing season.

    Also new this year is a problem with the soil that I can't figure out. There is some kind of woody type strands growing all through the soil. I can't figure what it is or where it came from, but these woody strands are very long and I haven't been able to follow them to any one particular source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the issue is acidity released by the decomposing evergreen needles. Lime to balance the PH? I want to buy vermiculite tomorrow and had this blog come up when I googled "vermiculite surrey". I think I'll try David Hunter for my vermiculite but I'm guessing I'll get the run-around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I am here in Victoria BC and going through the same search problems for vermiculite for my potential SFG as you did in 2009.

    Thanks for documenting all your strife; Although I still haven't found a reasonable source for the vermiculite, I found your comments most helpful.

    My question: Was it all worthwhile in the end? Your last comment left me with doubts about proceeding.

    Thanks again!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing, Maureen. I am glad to be of help.

      Was it worthwhile? Not sure how to answer this, because I don't have anything to compare the vermiculite to. Suggested substitutes are perlite and coconut coir. What I do know is that the soil when it was "new" was really excellent and held moisture. The soil now seems to be of poor quality--does not hold moisture, and compacted, even after I loosen it up. Every year I amended with new compost. Perhaps the ratios are messed up now with too much compost/soil and too little vermiculite, which has broken down. With the price of vermiculite now double, I am hesitant to replace it.

      Delete
  5. We are looking into starting up a SFG. We're going to try one bed for this season but haven't nailed down the dimensions we're going to go with yet...start up cost may be a factor in our decision though. We live in Maple Ridge BC and so far I've priced out the following:
    Otter Co-op in Pitt Meadows carries a 110L bag of vermiculite (not sure what grade) for $36.99
    Triple Tree Nursery in Pitt Meadows has 110L bag for $39.99

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your help. I wish I lived closer to Pitt Meadows!

      Delete
  6. Hi, I have garden using SFG for 4 years now when I lived in Hamilton, ON. I swear by it. Mel's Mix is by far the best and with little or no weeds. The vegetables grow in abundance with this compost mixture. I now live in Victoria and have started my SFG here, however, I am having troubles finding Vermiculite and Worm Poop. I believe I found the worm poop, will know tomorrow but the vermiculite, I am still having a hard time.

    In regards to the soil being compacted as stated by TORM, every year you should add new compost and also add more vermiculite and mix in with the existing soil. The vermiculite will last more than one season. Every 3 or 4 years, I will empty the soil out, add new peat moss, vermiculite, worm poop to it just to give it a boost.

    If anyone can tell me where to buy vermiculite in Victoria, would greatly appreciate it. New to this area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to all of you - this vermiculite issue was making me crazy and I am already so far behind on a garden!! I went out to Otter Coop in Aldergrove and was able to get two 110L bags of vermiculite for $39.99/each (June 2013). The lady there said it was "fine grade" though I couldn't find those words myself on the packaging later. They do have very large "M"s on them... don't know what that is either - hoping medium at least! I needed three but they only had two. I hope this fine grade isn't a deal breaker on my garden after all that $$! I think I will just scale back my SFG a bit - in fact I could then do a comparison... though my current earth is so weed ridden there would be no point in just turning it over with some extras.
    Next up - buy the compost and learn how to use a power drill... What could possibly go wrong?!
    I really appreciated your discussion of cost - I was worried that despite doing the math several times that I was in error given the costs. I don't mind an investment in the garden - but I really don't want to invest in a math error. The book was vague about cost - just that the mix was the "most expensive part". Wish me luck! We'll see how it goes.

    Also - one last word with respect to Otter Coop - the people there were ALL fabulous!! Every single one seemed interested and appeared to care about customer experience. The store itself is a hoot - reminded me of small town America. And I was able to fill up on cheap gas (compared to our Lower Mainland tax). If I go out again I will hit the Hilltop Diner - I hear it is worth the trip itself! I was very happy with my minor road trip to Otter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the Co-op in Pittmeadows, they as also are helpful, nice and informed. Little closer to us than Aldergrove as well. Plus we can pop into Hopcott for great meat and the feedlot has a little shack where you can buy bags of aged steer manure for a really reasonable price.

      Delete
  8. It's now 2014..and I'm looking for vermiculite for my first SFG! Mine is going to be small for my first time 4x4, so I don't need a lot. But....for anyone else that needs to know Potters Nursery on 192nd Street in Langley has big bags for 29.99. That's more than I need or can afford, so I'm looking for smaller amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill from WinnipegJune 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM

      Buy the big bag!
      It is a good price and you will be surprised at how quickly it will go.
      A couple of containers for more veggies or flowers...

      Delete
  9. If you want vermiculite or almost anything else for the garden try Evergrow on Ontario St. off Marine Dr. in Van.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My turn ... looking for coarse vermiculite!!!! Where oh where is it hiding? Why is it so hard to track down? I purchased four bags of the smaller vermiculite from RONA, but realized I could not afford to get the quantity needed for my plan. So I am back at square one of the Square foot garden plan LOL. Folks seem to have the expensive smaller vermiculite in small bags ... where are the larger coarse vermiculite supplies hiding. Surrey BC Help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some recently at David Hunter on Broadway again. A 25L bag of Dutch Treat brand. Not sure how coarse it is. Good luck finding what you need!

      Delete