Friday, December 25, 2009

Blooming Hunter Wellies


Realizing that I needed to keep up with my kids through mud and rain puddles, I decided to buy the trendy Hunter Wellingtons that Angelina Jolie wore in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. That was a year ago. Here is a picture from a Canadian store that sells them:



The picture is not accurate, however. They are not semi-shiny and all black. Even brand new wellies out of the box look somewhat chalky.

My black wellies developed a whitish cast to them, referred to as "blooming" in various Hunter information sources. This is a natural process of the rubber that occurs over time. Scrubbing with soap and water will not remove the marks.

I found an excellent source for possible solutions in a purse forum!

I will summarize so you don't have to read the whole thread. The possible solutions are: olive oil, Armorall, and McNett UV Tech. The only solution that I would consider, given the reports on the permanency of the various methods, was the McNett UV Tech. I also like the fact that it is non-toxic and biodegradable.

McNett UV Tech is available from REI in the U.S. and at Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada.

Another blogger has posted the results of her cleaning.

Now, this all got me thinking about my triathlon wetsuit. It's overdue for a repair of two moon shaped cuts. Despite all the warnings, I still managed to cut up my wetsuit with my fingernails. McNett also makes Aquaseal, which can be used to make such repairs. I'll have to conquer that problem another day.

Read an update on whether it was worth it to buy these boots here.

No comments:

Post a Comment