Thursday, November 1, 2012

Canada Customs and Shopping Online

I am addicted to shopping online.  The whole world at your fingertips.  No matter how eclectic, *someone* has that item for sale.

So when my Artistic Director asked us to come up with pastel chiffon costumes for our turns as fairies in our upcoming December musical, I only spent... 10 hours finding something suitable.  I found it at a British retailer, no surprise.  I am a fan of H&M even though it is hit or miss.  Some really tacky stuff, and some edgy items, all at low cost ranging from $15 to $40 for a dress.

The online UK retailer "Boohoo" has an amazing range of items for sale.  I found a pale pink chiffon top with a peplum for a measly $20, to match a pink chiffon skirt I found on eBay.  While I was at it, I bought a sleeveless skater dress with a scoop neck.  The total cost of my purchase, which had free shipping, was $44.00.  Three days later, I went back for more, like a moth to a flame.  Bought two more skater dresses with 3/4 sleeves.  Total $57.60.  Did I mention that I love skater dresses?  Before this body flattering trend goes away, I'm going to stock up.

product imageMaya Scoop Neck Skater Dress

Here is the timeline:

October 21: Placed Order #1 for $44.00
October 24: Placed Order #2 for $57.60
October 31: Order #2 arrives.
November 1: Order #1 arrives, via Canada Post.  Paid $8.08 Duty, $6.36 GST/HST and $9.95 "Handling Fee."  Total extra paid is $24.38!!!  On a purchase of $44.00!

The poor postperson had to listen me complain about the extra charges as I handed over my plastic for payment.  I did not realize how lucky I was to get through with one order without paying duty.

The moral of this story is to assume that you will get "chosen" to pay duties.  Duties, sales taxes, and handling fees can work out to an extra 55% of the original charge.  Ouch.  In my personal experience, about half the time I pay the extra charges through customs.  That $24 dress is now $37 when you add in the extra charges.

Oh, and the special chiffon top didn't fit all that well.  My big muscular triathlete arms barely make it through the armhole.  I need me a pair of stick arms, stat.




1 comment:

  1. Hah, I definitely feel your frustrations here! You might be interested in checking out the website called Duty-Back (www.duty-back.com).

    If you decide to return an item that you paid duty on importing, Duty-Back will prepare and file a claim to get your duty and tax back from the Canadian government. It is possible to file a claim yourself but it is super complicated and laborious and has to be done via snail mail. With Duty-Back it can all be done easily online by providing some basic information about your purchase. Worth a shot if you get slapped with duty and tax on unwanted purchases again!

    ReplyDelete