Saturday, March 8, 2014

Silence of the Doors: Fixing a Squeaky Door

What can these things possibly have in common?

When I first moved in six years ago, I used WD-40 to lubricate door hinges.  It was quick and easy but it stank.

Googling a solution to squeaky doors comes up with many different options.

Popular Mechanics suggests that squirting in oil is only a temporary solution.  The long term solution is to remove the pin in the hinge, clean it, and grease it up.

I was surprised there were so many options for the lubricant and not one popular standout, so I've listed the top 10 Google hits, in order of my personal preference for a solution along with comments from the sources:

You can pick one of these solutions based on being:
  1. long lasting
  2. convenient to buy
  3. environmentally friendly
  4. less messy
  5. less dirt attracting
  6. easier to apply
I can't make the decision for you because I don't know what's most important to you, as some of these factors are at odds with one another, such as long lasting vs. environmentally friendly.

You can do it handyperson!





No comments:

Post a Comment